Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mixed Bag

I wasn't sure what to write about this week.

I was going to write about the upcoming A.C.T. election but decided it was too depressing.

Movies? Haven't watched any.

T.V? Doctor Who ended on a cliffhanger and finishes this week for a whole year and a half while David Tennant plays Hamlet in the theatre. That is almost as depressing as politics.

The Emmys were on. Most of the night was dire. Josh Groban's take on iconic theme songs was suprisingly funny. My favourite part is Animal from the muppets being beamed up during the
X-Files theme. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=u7xD59eAnUc

90210 is causing random people to throw biscuits and other high-fat baked goods at the actresses. Much has been made of their weight and it will be interesting now that the show has been picked up for a whole season what the producers, and indeed the actors, do about it.

I could talk about music. Trouble is, I've listened to exactly one song all week. Metro Station's "Shake it" I'm slightly obsessed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ioJ_i8P3k

Books? This week I read Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. I don't read a lot of fiction, and the last book about vampires I read was Anne Rice's "Interview with a Vampire" which I hated.
Twilight has more in common with a romance novel than anything else. It's very simple to read and moves along well. It's as far as you can get from high-art or literature, but would make a good airport novel for a (slightly younger) teenage girl. The film will come out later this season.

So, I'm off to watch more T.V. If anyone has a song they think I should listen to that isn't by Metro Station, please send me the name of it! Also, if anyone has read the sequel to Twilight, I'd love to know what you thought about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey alberta,
Yes i have read the first three books in the twilight series, and have unfortunatley become a little obsessed. They arent particularly well written, and sometimes you just want to punch some of the characters in the face, but im such a sucker for 1. vampires in general and 2. vampires in love. Im also looking forward to the movie, although i have low expectations of how well it will be crossed over from the book to film. It is an engaging story, with exiting action sequences, and thats pretty good to me!